Utah Expandable Baton Laws

NOTE: This information is not provided as legal advice. Always consult a lawyer and seek legal guidance.

Section 504
Carrying concealed firearm — Penalties. (Effective 5/12/2015)

Except as provided in Section 76-10-503 and in Subsections (2), (3), and (4), a person who carries a concealed firearm, as defined in Section 76-10-501, including an unloaded firearm on his or her person or one that is readily accessible for immediate use which is not securely encased, as defined in this part, in or on a place other than the person’s residence, property, a vehicle in the person’s lawful possession, or a vehicle, with the consent of the individual who is lawfully in possession of the vehicle, or business under the person’s control is guilty of a class B misdemeanor.

A person who carries a concealed firearm that is a loaded firearm in violation of Subsection (1) is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

A person who carries concealed an unlawfully possessed short barreled shotgun or a short barreled rifle is guilty of a second degree felony.

If the concealed firearm is used in the commission of a violent felony as defined in Section 76-3-203.5, and the person is a party to the offense, the person is guilty of a second degree felony.

Nothing in Subsection (1) or (2) prohibits a person engaged in the lawful taking of protected or unprotected wildlife as defined in Title 23, Wildlife Resources Code of Utah, from carrying a concealed firearm as long as the taking of wildlife does not occur:
within the limits of a municipality in violation of that municipality’s ordinances; or
upon the highways of the state as defined in Section 41-6a-102.


There are no current specific statutes in Utah which permit or prohibit open/concealed carrying or possession of collapsible or expandable batons, clubs, billies, blackjacks and other similar weapons.

If you would like to know if it is permissible to carry or possess a collapsible or expandable baton in Utah – whether openly or in a concealed manner – it is best to consult your lawyer and/or local law enforcement regarding this matter.